I have never, in 42 years of living, seen so many ticks in one day!
Every few seconds, I had to pull a crawling tick off of my pants or off of a child's legs. Yes..summer has arrived in Florida. I posted a note about this on Facebook which led to a conversation about Florida bugs..and here I am.
Florida is a beautiful place with it's sandy beaches and year round sunshine. But let me tell you what the travel guides don't tell you. Florida has more more bugs by number and variety than most states.
Florida Bugs are Unique
Yes, we may have some of the same bugs as you do in your home state, but ours are the redneck version. They drive pickups, drink beer on the tailgate, have a gun rack and speak with a twang. And most notable, is the redneck "in your face" attitude.Palmetto Bug Let's take the cockroach, for instance. We have a very special type of roach. It is the "Palmetto Bug". It's about 2 inches long. Huge! If they feel cornered, they'll rear up like a horse, hiss and fly directly at your face. Of course your instinct is to turn your face away. At this point, it lands and gets tangled in your hair.
Don't think you'll end the terror by killing it. I assure you the palmetto bug will have the last word. When squashed, it releases a most horrible odor and leaves a horrible mess for at least an 8 foot radius. Leave them be. "Live and let live" never had truer meaning.
Asian Cockroach The good news is they don't have real stamina when it comes to flying. That would be a different roach. One day you'll shake a tree limb or go to turn your mulch and an army of tiny little moths will fly out. Only they're not moths. It's the Asian cockroach. Yes. Flying roaches. Isn't Florida special?
Lovebugs
Lovebugs are a car owner's nightmare with their acidic bodies splattering all over vehicles and baking in the sun. As far as I'm aware, they serve no purpose in the eco-system. Nothing eats them and I doubt they eat other living things. How or why they're here is a mystery. Children love them. "Awwww love buuuuuuggs!" Perhaps their purpose is to amuse children.
Are you afraid yet?
Are there any bugs exclusive to your state? Share in the comments.
Happy Nature Watching!
Michelle
Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting! I can hardly wait to hear what you have to say. Be sure to subscribe to comments or return to see my reply.