Bird Nature Study
While feeding the ducks, we were joined by the White Ibis. Actually, it was an entire congregation but that's beside the point. We pondered over which one to study, the duck or the Ibis and chose the White Ibis. This is a coastal bird which can be found in Cuba as well as the coast from North Carolina to Florida and on the gulf coasts as well. Perfect for this Florida blog!
I often see these birds on lawns searching for insects to eat. They're odd looking yet I think they're beautiful! These blue-eyed creatures have feathers so white that their pink bills are rather striking in contrast. When they take flight you notice that the tips of the wings are black underneath as though someone dipped them into paint.
At first, we were not thrilled at the Ibis invasion.. We knew this would cause the ducks to go away. We were correct. The Ibises have no qualms about taking the food the ducks are eating and the ducks always concede.
They're rather difficult to observe as they only swoop in for food. If there is no food, they don't linger about. Normally this birds eat crabs and crawdads (Northerners would call these crayfish, I believe) and fish eggs. Their bills are designed for digging deep into the sand for their meals.
I'm pleased that we've decided on this bird for our study. It's a very tropical bird and the children should learn about the birds that share our little coastal town.
Nature Journal
Alexis' Notebooking Page
Lorelai's Notebooking Page
Beautiful video of a White Ibis. Lorelai, who was initially disinterested in this bird, just stared and said, "WOW!"
Happy Homeschooling!





9 comments
Wonderful bird study! Thanks for submitting it to the CM Carnival!
ReplyDeleteLove this nature study blog. I have a daughter how volunteers for a raptor rehab center. Here are some of her photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/tipulidae/sets/72157622784496546/
ReplyDeleteVery nice post! I found it simple and direct, not to mention fascinating! Thanks for sharing your children's sketches - my favorite part. I've never seen a live ibis here in MN!
ReplyDeleteOne of the things I love about nature studies is how God's Creation surprises us. I often go out with the intention of studying one thing, and my kids (or I) discover that something totally different catches our attention. Last week it was jet clouds and a little Morning Glory wildflower. I loved your pictures of the Ibis!
ReplyDeleteJamie: Love being a part of the carnival. :-)
ReplyDeleteLaura: I'm so glad you like the blog! Great photo shots!
Nancy: Simple and direct. I like that review!
Mary: Yes, God has given us many things to hold our attention. Speaking of which.. I need to post about that "other thing" that caught ours!
What a great way to be flexible. I'm worried we won't find any geese, but you've inspired me to study whatever bird we can find :)
ReplyDeleteEdwena: Awww I'm so glad. I'm learning, very quickly, to adapt things. I follow Barb at Handbook of Nature Study and often find myself asking "what will I do with THIS?" when it comes to Autumn, Winter, Animals we don't have in Florida. So.. flexibility is the rule of the day around here!
ReplyDeleteI'm starting to realize, I can offer something different to all these blog hops, carnivals and challenges. Perhaps others will find it refreshingly different?
This is a great bird to study! I love that you are adapting the challenge to your local area and you will learn so much about a bird that is unique and different.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on your journal as well. Thanks so much for sharing your link.
Great post! Jon drew about the White Egret, his favorite bird in our yard this week. We are on the other side - on a lake in costal town in Oregon. :) Love the Handbook Study to get us to really see what is out there!
ReplyDeleteThank you for commenting! I can hardly wait to hear what you have to say. Be sure to subscribe to comments or return to see my reply.