What's That Lurking Beneath the Water??

September 20, 2010 Edgewater, FL 32132, USA

A few days ago, I mentioned on the White Ibis study that something else had caught our attention that day. We had gone out for a bird study but been distracted by another creature.

pond
While we were attracting the ducks (and Ibis) to us that day, many turtles came up to shore. I saw this odd looking creature but when about my business for the moment. Alexis then noticed it and we tried and tried to get a good shot of it so that we could figure out what it was. In the end, we determined it was some sort of turtle that we had never seen.



We had the most difficult time getting a good shot of it because my camera wasn't working correctly. Each time that creature popped his head up, the camera screen went dead.  Eventually it worked. I got the shots and returned home. I described the creature to my son (he knows EVERYTHING about nature!) who immediately said, "It's a soft-shelled turtle. Be careful, they'll bite."

Hmmmm. A soft-shelled turtle. How could I have lived in Florida all these years and never seen this creature? Well, I suppose it doesn't matter because the fact is.. I did live here all these years and never see it! So, for those who may never have seen one, here are some shots of that odd critter.



Happy Homeschooling!

6 comments

  1. lol, i have been living here in fl for 1 yr now. i am in brevard county. my oldest is also a nature and animal geek. he can tell us anything lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, one of those! The kids found one near our house a couple of years ago. Be careful, those turtles bite... We only found out later that they do. The one we found didn't appear agressive. Still... Florida living is full of surprises. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mari: Welcome to Florida! I've been here for a lifetime *lol* You're pretty nearby, actually. I'm in Volusia county.

    Mary: Florida IS full of surprises! I read up on them. They're aggressive when removed from the water. So as long as they're in the water and I'm on land.. we're good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I LOVE turtles but that is one ugly turtle- and it bites? gives turtles a bad name ;)
    We need to get into nature study over here in Wyoming (plenty of antelope but wonder what else??) :) I'm following this blog now as well as your holistic homeschool one :) We need all the help we can get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blossom: LOL! It's true.. NOT an attractive creature at all. Apparently it's some kinda delicacy though..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turtles that bite don't sound like fun...but very interesting to learn about. Turtles are reptiles that totally creep me out so I wouldn't mind spending time observing and then studying them. Thanks for sharing your unexpected subject.

    Why don't you add your link in Mr. Linky in the Signs of Autumn Challenge? Thanks so much.
    http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/2010/09/signs-of-autumn-challenge-and-notebook.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I can hardly wait to hear what you have to say. Be sure to subscribe to comments or return to see my reply.

Latest Instagrams

© Life on My Planet. Design by FCD.