Our season is different from fall in many other states. When I think of fall, I do not think of crisp breezes or leaves changing colors. Its hot, humid and trips to the beach are still an option. Still, there are things I enjoy in the fall.
1. Festivals - I can't speak for other states, but in Florida, we love our festivals. Floridians will celebrate just about anything from art to being green, fall to Summer, flowers to gators. We have an abundance of festivals in the fall. This is probably because summer is our indoors season and fall is for going outdoors. Yeah, I know. That's yet another difference on our planet.
2. Fall - scented candles around my home - I create seasonal themes with soy candles. In the fall, I enjoy the scents of fall - apples and cinnamon, pumpkin spice, sugar cookies - Mmmmm!
3. Food and cooking - I don't particularly enjoy cooking. I'm not even big on food itself. That changes in the fall. I actually enjoy baking, cooking and experimenting with foods at this time of year.
4. Pumpkin spice frappes - There's a wonderful little coffeehouse in downtown Deland that serves such a variety of flavors that put that Seattle-based coffee shop to shame. Not only do they offer more flavors, but they're also less expensive, taste better and offer monthly or seasonal flavors. I enjoy pumpkin spice in the fall but they also have special flavors like pumpkin and mocha. Again I say.. Mmmm!
5. Hiking - I realize many of you hikers enjoy this activity in the Spring or Summer. Summer doesn't work for us. It's far too hot, I don't sweat (seriously, I don't. Summer is a nightmare from which the only escape is the indoors) and the ticks and demon-mosquitoes just don't motivate me. fall, although still hot, offers a more pleasant experience.
6. The sounds of football - I'm not a big sports person. I couldn't really care less about sports, to be honest with you. Still, my childhood memories were of crisp breezes, returning home from church to the smell of chili or beef stew cooking, and the sounds of football on TV because my dad was at home. I may not have the crisp breezes but I can still put on a pot of chili and turn on a game. Which brings me to another thing...
7. FSU games - No, I don't care for sports but it's a family tradition to root for FSU and my family never misses one of their games. Even when we were in St. Augustine last year, we were keeping track of the score on our phones and stopped into a sandwich shop to have a Reuben and watch the game on the TV.
8. Azaleas - These beautiful flowers bloom in October and March in Central Florida. They can be seen in nearly every yard or public space. They grow wild on the edges of forests and appear in the most landscaped areas.
9. St. Augustine - We travel to St. Augustine each October and March. It's a tradition my kids and I have held for a long time.
10. Decorating my home - While the colors of fall are different here, I still decorate in the traditional colors of fall. I change my place mats, dish mat, stack cinnamon scented pine cones next to the fireplace, and decorate with cute items.
Your Turn
What are some of your favorite things about the fall season?
I'm participating in List it Tuesday at Many Little Blessings and Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers.
Be sure to check out the other great posts at this edition of List it Tuesday!
Be sure to check out the other great posts at this edition of List it Tuesday!
Subscribe to Life on My Planet


Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting! I can hardly wait to hear what you have to say. Be sure to subscribe to comments or return to see my reply.