![]() |
| Nachos and Music |
Saturday night, we attended the Autumn Festival here in DeBary. Originally this was going to be a post about the festival but, as it turns out, our camera doesn't want to give up the photos. That's okay. I had something else I wanted to mention anyway.
Local artists, whether they are performers, painters, sculptors or any other display of artistic talent, are probably the biggest reason I attend so many festivals. When we arrived on the park grounds, Saturday evening, there was a singer on the stage who caught my attention. The lyrics to the song he was singing drew me in immediately:
We used to paddle up and down on the Little Econ
you could go and never see another soul all day.
But, now they're paving everything and those days are gone
and I wish things were still that way.
Chorus:
But you can still see Florida,
in a lifelike state
cause they have reproduced it for yaw.
Just eighty dollars at the gate.
At once, my 21-year old daughter and I exchanged a delighted, amused look. How perfect! A musician singing about the very things that concern us: Florida's natural environment being ruined for profit! Oh it was great!
I didn't catch his name because we moved on to games and rides for the children. However, as soon as I returned home, I did a little research and found out that his name is Rog Lee. He lives here in DeBary and performs regularly at local spots. He has a website which includes covers of older songs (love it!) and a link to his own original works, nearly all of which seem to focus on Florida. I even "liked" Rog's Facebook page. I just wanted to share this local find with you. If you're ever in the area, you may want to drop in wherever Mr. Lee is playing and enjoy his music.
For now, here is an older version of the song I quoted above. It says "50 dollars at the gate" which he's obviously updated to "80" as the prices keep increasing at our lovely amusement parks.
Happy Nature Watching!

8 comments
You can hear similar music at North Florida Folk Festival this Sat at Agriculture Musium in Palm Coast. Also FOFF . Org. Hope you noticed Rog's calendar, he plays every Sunday in Debary.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the heads up! Yes I noticed Rog's calendar and hopefully I'll get to see him perform again soon.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip. Nice singer/songwriter. BTW-Can you change the link of my blog on your site to http://suwanneerefugee.com. Thanks for the link love!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by.. and yes. I'll fix that. Sorry if I had a blooper or failure to update!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by..and yes, I'll get that changed right now. Sorry if I typo'd or failed to update! :P
ReplyDeleteMy husband and I stumbled upon Rog one night at a local Gators...ever since then....when he is local (or not) we attend. Rog is the most talented singer/player (aside from my late father ) that I know. My husband who knows about music, insists Rog is an absoute genuiss when it comes to music. I could not recommend a more enjoyable night then listening to Rog. Sincerely.
ReplyDeleteI agree! He's great! I find his songs running through my head as much as any other song. I love the lyrics!
ReplyDeletefs
ReplyDeleteThank you for commenting! I can hardly wait to hear what you have to say. Be sure to subscribe to comments or return to see my reply.